A jar of peanut butter, a can of tuna, peas, corn and beans just might be the recipe to cure those hockey-watching withdrawal symptoms hockey fans may be experiencing during the NHL lockout.
San Jose Sharks, the Sharks Foundation and Sharks Ice at San Jose are teaming up to raise donations of canned goods and monetary donations for Second Harvest Food Bank in a kickoff event Thursday from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. at Sharks Ice at San Jose (long-timers may still call it Logitech.)
A donation of five canned goods or $5 will earn an opportunity to meet and collect an autograph from former Sharks such as Owen Nolan and Mike Ricci, and other Sharks celebrities such as fan-favorite S.J. Sharkie. (There’s a limit of one autographed item per person, and the celebrities are subject to change.)
Other familiar faces, or voices, that may be on hand include former player and now color commentators Curtis Brown and Jamie Baker, and broadcasters Randy Hahn and Dan Rusanowsky.
Second Harvest Food Bank provides food to low-income children, seniors and adults, and to local organizations such as West Valley Community Services, which in turn gets food items to residents in need in the communities of Cupertino, Los Gatos, Saratoga, Monte Sereno and West San Jose.
WVCS, like other nonprofits, has seen a drop in funding from government sources.
Last Thursday, several Cisco employees helped kick off another Second Harvest food drive in San Jose.
“The holiday season is going to be even tougher as we tend to see an increase of the amount of clients accessing services during this time,” said Jacqueline de Guzman, director of community resources at WVCS.
There are several other events being held throughout the month with incentives such as a Sharks Territory sign and a 20 percent off coupon at the Sharks Store offered in exchange for donations.
Items most needed include:
- Canned meals such as soups, chilis
- Canned meats such as chicken, tuna, salmon
- Peanut butter
- Canned vegetables,
- 100 percent fruit juice in single-serve boxes
- Low-sugar cereals
- Other non-perishable items in cans, no glass jars will be accepted
Food collection bins are available at Sharks Ice at San Jose, located at 1500 S. 10th St., San Jose.
Customers donating the following items on specific days will receive a 2-for-1 admission for public session that evening from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, Nov. 14 – Turkey Drive (Frozen turkeys)
- Wednesday, Nov. 21 – Canned Food Drive (Canned food)
- Wednesday, Nov. 28 – Warmth Drive (New or gently used blankets and jackets)
- Wednesday, Dec. 5 – Toys for Tots Drive (New and unwrapped toys)
HP Pavilion guests can also assist by making donations at the following events:
- Wednesday, Nov. 7: Leonard Cohen
- Friday, Nov. 9: Eric Church
- Sunday, Nov. 18: Russell Peters
- Friday, Nov. 23: Andrea Bocelli