Go green—literally!—and celebrate Thursday's Irish holiday with plenty of food, drinks and friends. Éirinn go Brách!
Where to eat and drink:
- , 135 S. Murphy Ave., Sunnyvale: Every St. Paddy's Day, the pub puts on an all-out celebration, starting with traditional corned beef and cabbage at 11:30 a.m. for $9 and live music from 8:30 p.m.-12:30 a.m.. Green beer will also be served. Happy hour is 10 a.m.-4 p.m. No cover charge.
- , 156 S. Murphy Ave., Sunnyvale: Wash down traditional Irish fare like cod fish & chips and shepherd's pie with a cold bottle of Magners, an Irish cider. Or, if you're feeling extra spirited, order yourself a "Black & Tan," which is a drink made of half Guinness and half Bass (a pale ale).
- San Jose Bar and Grill, 85 S. Second St, San Jose: San Jose Bar and Grill invites everyone for a full day of drinking and eating—the menu includes corned beef Rueben's and drink specials for Irish carbombs, shots of Jameson as well as Guinness and Green Bud Light.
Where to hear music:
- O'Flaherty's, 25 N. San Pedro St., San Jose: O'Flaherty's boasts of holding the "Biggest Celebration in the South Bay," but you'll have to see for yourself on that one. This year, the bar's opening up its extended patio in the back for a St. Paddy's Day celebration that includes live entertainment, Irish grub and, of course, pints after pints of Guinness. Festivities start at 2 p.m.
- Rosie McCann's Irish Pub & Restaurant, 355 Santana Row #1060, San Jose: The festivities start at 9 a.m. at Rosie McCann's in San Jose. Eat and drink up, then enjoy live entertainment for the rest of the night. The Piping Circles take the floor at 5 p.m. to play the bagpipes, then at 7 p.m., enjoy the sounds of the Mofo's. The night ends with a live DJ.
- Britannia Arms, 173 W. Santa Clara St., San Jose: In addition to a full menu of corned beef and cabbage and Irish stew, a full bar of green beer, Harp, Smithwick's and Guinness, this British pub will also have a night of full entertainment. Enjoy bag pipers and Scottish dancers starting at 7:30 p.m.