Summertime has arrived in the East Bay in full, glorious swing. And while this is a beautiful time of year for fun in the sun with your kids and families, parents need to remember some important outdoor safety precautions — especially in and around the pool.
Here are six pool safety tips to help keep your family safe this summer and year-round:
- Supervision is the number one safety measure you can take when your pool is being used. Designate an adult as “Water Watcher” when children are playing in or near the pool, and never ever leave a child alone in a pool or spa — not even for a moment.
- Install a fence around the pool area in order to restrict children’s access when not in use. Keep doors and gates closed and locked with childproof latching. Also consider using a non-climbable fence or installing an alarm on your pool gate.
- Keep the pool area safe and clean; drain standing water from pool covers, and keep all chairs, toys, inflatables, etc. away from the pool when not in use. These items pose a dangerous tripping or drowning hazard.
- Never let children dive from the side of the pool or in the shallow end. Have a telephone or cell phone nearby and call 9-1-1 in case of emergencies.
- Make sure children are well-hydrated when swimming and playing outdoors, and are wearing a high SPF sunscreen to protect their skin.
- Have a licensed pool service technician perform an annual safety inspection of your home pool or spa to identify potential hazards.
With these prevention tactics, you can create a safe swim environment for your family this summer and all year-round. Please feel free to reach us with your pool safety and other questions at (510) 651-2900. Parents can also pick up a free “Pool and Water Safety” children’s activity book at our store, located at 45846 Warm Springs Blvd. in Fremont.
References: Independent Pool & Spa Service Association, Inc. (IPSSA) pool safety guide.