A gas leak prompted the evacuation of a condominium complex near the Great Mall in Milpitas this afternoon, fire and PG&E officials said.
The leak was reported at about 1:20 p.m. after a third-party contractor ruptured a 2-inch gas line in the area of Main Street and Great Mall Parkway, PG&E spokeswoman Monica Tell said.
Fire Chief Brian Sturdivant said a construction crew was using a backhoe when the accident occurred.
As a precaution, the nearby Centria condominium complex was evacuated, Sturdivant said.
PG&E crews responded and stopped the leak by about 2:25 p.m., Tell said.
Once the leak was capped, residents were allowed to go back home, Sturdivant said. No injuries were reported.
PG&E crews were still on site mid-afternoon working to make final repairs.
Copyright © 2013 by Bay City News, Inc. -- Republication, Rebroadcast or any other Reuse without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. is prohibited.