.

Grease Fire at Milpitas Home Causes $100,000 in Damages

The fire, which spread from the kitchen to the attic, was extinguished in 14 minutes.

A grease fire at a Milpitas residence Tuesday morning caused an estimated $100,000 in damage, according to the Milpitas Fire Department.

At 9:57 a.m. Milpitas Fire crews arrived at the scene of a residence at 456 N. Abbott Ave. They found that the kitchen was lit on fire, and that flames rose from the kitchen stove into the cabinets above it. The fire also spread to the attic.

“A lot of fire had blown into the insulation [of the attic] that we had to extinguish,” said acting Battalion Chief Kari Schmidt.

Fire crews ripped a five-foot hole in the roof above the ceiling to vent flames, extinguishing the fire by 10:11 a.m.

One of the residents suffered minor burns on his hand when he grabbed the pan that caught on fire, according to Schmidt.

There were four Milpitas Fire Department trucks at the scene, as well as a Fremont Fire Department Truck that was sent back.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »