Hundreds of library-goers were evacuated from the by the Fire Department around 5 p.m. Sunday.
Fire Chief Scott Brown said the fire department received a call from the library's manager and responded to the first floor of the building at approximately 4:56 p.m.
The manager said several patrons - many of whom were at the library for a concert that afternoon - were complaining of a strange odor.
"Several people smelled a natural gas smell for about 30 minutes near the front desk," Brown said. "So they did evacuate the building."
Brown said firefighters then used a "gas detector" - a standard instrument the fire department has for such situations - to investigate the area.
However, Brown said, they did not find anything out of the ordinary.
"They were unable to locate any hazard, and they released the building at 7:08 p.m.," Brown explained. "They were able to determine no emergency existed and no gas was detected in the building."