.

Library Evacuated Due to Gas Smell

The Milpitas Library was evacuated around 5 p.m. Sunday as several patrons complained of a gas smell. The Fire Department came to investigate.

Hundreds of library-goers were evacuated from the by the Fire Department around 5 p.m. Sunday.

Fire Chief Scott Brown said the fire department received a call from the library's manager and responded to the first floor of the building at approximately 4:56 p.m.

The manager said several patrons - many of whom were at the library for a concert that afternoon - were complaining of a strange odor.

"Several people smelled a natural gas smell for about 30 minutes near the front desk," Brown said. "So they did evacuate the building."

Brown said firefighters then used a "gas detector" - a standard instrument the fire department has for such situations - to investigate the area.

However, Brown said, they did not find anything out of the ordinary.

"They were unable to locate any hazard, and they released the building at 7:08 p.m.," Brown explained. "They were able to determine no emergency existed and no gas was detected in the building."

 

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something